The Historic Sites and Education Division (HSED) administers and maintains national shrines, monuments and landmarks and operates interactive history museums. The HSED also takes charge of the conduct of commemorative events and other educational activities to observe birth and death centenaries/anniversaries of national heroes and illustrious Filipinos and historic events with local and national significance.
The HSED promotes the ideals of our heroes and other illustrious Filipinos through the administration and maintenance of the various monuments, landmarks and shrines, which house their relics and memorabilia, as museums and venues for learning, and the conduct of commemorative and other educational activities.
- Maintenance and administration of national shrines and landmarks, including relics and memorabilia of national heroes and other illustrious Filipinos, and objects of historical value in order to perpetuate the memory and emulate the patriotic deeds of our heroes;
- Commemoration of birth and death anniversaries of national heroes and illustrious Filipinos and significant historical events at various shrines and landmarks, to inculcate the positive values that the Filipino people, most especially the youth, can emulate;
- Commemoration of milestone historical events with national significance and encouragement of public awareness on the importance of these events;
- Management of shrines and landmarks as resource centers and conduits between national government agencies and local government units, non-government agencies, civic organizations and stakeholders;
- Conduct of historical educational activities such as lectures, seminars, exhibits, workshops, patriotic tours, video showing, historico-cultural contests,,,,, and learning sessions, whether formal, non-formal or informal, in accordance with the Philippine Cultural Education Plan;
- Establishment of an index of knowledge on history and culture at the various NHCP-managed shrines and landmarks for information dissemination to the public sector; and
- Preparation of historical educational materials such as press releases, feature articles and short essays on activities at NHCP shrines and landmarks, historical events, sites and eminent personages to help popularize Philippine history in the mass media and other venues and through information.
- Organize and strengthen various historical committees and associations (i.e. provincial, city, municipal, institutional, etc.), private or public, as active partners in the dissemination of significant historical events and personalities at the grass roots level.
The Historic Sites and Education Division is headed by the Chief Historic Sites Development Officer who is assisted by the Supervising Historic Sites Development Officer.
The Historic Education Section is tasked to prepare, organize, plan, integrate and implement historico-cultural and educational programs, lectures, symposia, conferences, round-table discussions, local or national contests such as extemporaneous speech, essay writing, poem reading, etc. all related to the observance and commemoration of the birth and death anniversaries of national heroes and illustrious Filipinos, including the centennial/milestone celebrations of important or major historical events (local or national);
The Historic Sites Section is tasked with the administration and maintenance of the various national shrines, monuments and landmarks namely:
- Museo ni Emilio Aguinaldo
- Museo ni Baldomero Aguinaldo
- Museo nina Marcela Mariño at Felipe Agoncillo
- Museo ni Leon Apacible
- Museo ng Paglilitis ni Andres Bonifacio
- Museo ni Marcelo H. Del Pilar
- Museo ng Katipunan
- Museo ni Juan at Antonio Luna
- Museo ni Apolinario Mabini – PUP
- Museo ni Apolinario Mabini Tanauan
- Museo ni Ramon Magsaysay
- Museo ng Republika ng 1899
- Museo ni Miguel Malvar
- Museo ng Kasaysayang Pampulitika ng Pilipinas
- Museo sa Ilalim ng Lupa ng Nagcarlan
- Museo ng Kasaysayang Panlipunan ng Pilipinas
- Museo ni Manuel Quezon
- Museo ni Jose Rizal, Calamba
- Museo ni Jose Rizal, Dapitan
- Museo ni Jose Rizal, Fort Santiago
- Museo ni Jesse Robredo