LOCAL HISTORICAL COMMITTEES NETWORK (LHCN)
The creation of the Local Historical Committees Network (LHCN) reinforces the National Historical Commission of the Philippines’ (NHCP) collaboration with historical societies and heritage conservation groups.
Formally launched on 24 August 2012, the task of the LHCN is to “monitor, coordinate, support and, upon approval of the [NHCP] Board, affiliate various local historical bodies engaged in the collection, documentation, popularization, conservation, restoration and preservation of extant historical materials found in different parts of the Philippines. It shall also record the oral histories of towns, cities, provinces, regions and peoples” (Sec. 21 of the NHCP Charter, R.A. 10086).
Through this network, the NHCP expects to carry out activities with local partners, public and private. LHCN members may participate in NHCP-sponsored public programs, commemorative activities and shall organize projects that raise public consciousness and promote the study of history and heritage conservation in their localities.Vision The Local Historical Committees Network envisions communities with a strong sense of local identity and pride in being Filipino, fostered through local history. Mission The LHCN shall monitor, coordinate, and support local historical bodies engaged in the collection, documentation, popularization, conservation, restoration and preservation of extant historical materials found in different parts of the Philippines. It shall also record the oral histories of towns, cities, provinces, regions and peoples.
- Letter of request addressed to the NHCP Chairperson, including statement of willingness to abide b the LHCN code of member-affiliates
- Organizational profile
- SEC registration (for NGOs, if any)
- Constitution and by-laws (for NGOs)
- LGU resolution creating the office
- Certification from administrator for HEI-based organizations/institutions
- Certification from cultural agencies and respected professional national history societies (for NGOs without SEC papers)
- An official LHCN membership ID card will be issued to a member-affiliate, which is transferable among listed members in the organizational roster submitted to the LHCN Secretariat, to avail the following benefits from NHCP:
|Free use of NHCP Facilities (Central Office + museums) (honoraria for maintenance personnel during holidays and weekends shall be borne by the requesting institution)||
|Free use of NHCP Library (by appointment)||
Individuals endorsed by the member-affiliate
|Free use of NHCP Collection (e.g., photos, multimedia, museum artifacts) as visuals and/or features in non-profit/-oriented endeavors and academic use, otherwise approved by NHCP.||Member-affiliates and their members only|
|10% discount in all NHCP publications||Members of the member-affiliate only|
|Invitation to NHCP activities||Head of the member-affiliate; members of the member-affiliate only|
|Endorsement to NCCA and other agencies and institutions determined by the NHCP to be meritorious||Member-affiliate|
|NHCP complimentary items (e.g., calendar, annual report, souvenirs)||Member-affiliate|
|Airfare and accommodation during annual general assembly||Head of the member-affiliate and/or authorized member/s of the member-affiliate|
|Free use of NHCP Zoom Meetings Rooms (by schedule and activities determined by the NHCP to be meritorious)||Member-affiliate|
|Events promotion in various NHCP platforms (physical and online)||Member-affiliate|
- In addition to the aforesaid benefits are the following:
10% discount in various services in the National Archives of the Philippines, National Library of the Philippines, and National Museum of the Philippines (under the Multiparty Agreement of the said agencies with NHCP dated 27 January 2014)
Members of the member-affiliate institution only
- The NHCP shall facilitate the member’s access to the National Library and National Archives and possibly other culture agencies.
- The Member-affiliate shall attend LHCN General Assemblies, subcommittee meetings, and other related meetings.
- The Member-affiliate shall collaborate with the NHCP in the implementation of the LHCN National Action Plan and initiate its own activities in furtherance of the plan.
- The Member-affiliate shall encourage immediate community involvement.
- The Member-affiliate shall initiate and participate in the conduct of local and national commemorative programs.
- The Member-affiliate shall regularly update LHCN Secretariat about its activities and changes in its organizational profile.
- The Member-affiliate shall regularly check NHCP website and associated official social media accounts for announcements of activities, projects, and programs.
- The Member-affiliate shall disseminate knowledge about the LHCN and invite other local historical bodies to be part of the network.
- The Member-affiliate shall contribute in the development and enrichment of the National Memory Project Philippines.
- The Member-affiliate shall encourage to extend special services/perks to fellow member-affiliate like free and/or discounted entrance fees to its museum, archive, library, and shop being managed, operated or run.
- The Member-affiliate shall abide by the LHCN Member-Affiliates’ Code of Ethics.
1. NHCP shall call the attention of a member found to have violated the LHCN Member-Affiliates’ Code of Ethics and invite the member to respond.
2. Depending on its response and the gravity of the violation of the code of ethics, the member-affiliate may be suspended or removed from the LHCN Registry. 3. A member-affiliate that fails to renew its affiliation after two consecutive notices from the NHCP shall have its membership suspended until such time that the renewal has been made. 4. Failure to renew after the third notice shall be cause for dropping the affiliation from the LHCN Registry.
Adopted during the 7th LHCN General Assembly on 17 June 2020 (Virtual)
A core component of the LHCN Action Plan 2019-2022 is the formation of five LHCN subcommittees. The subcommittees were determined through the strengths and area of each and every member-affiliates.
The core function of the LHCN subcommittee is to assist the LHCN fulfill its mandate. The subcommittees will each be led by a Coordinator and will have a term that will conclude simultaneously with the Action Plan on 29 June 2022.
- Sub-Committee for Research
- Process historical knowledge
- Sub-Committee for Preservation and conservation
- Conserve, Preserve and Restore Sources of Historical Knowledge
- Sub-Committee for Documentation
- Track Down Sources of Historical Knowledge
- Sub-Committee for Promotions and popularization
- Popularize Historical Knowledge
- Sub-Committee for Publications and production
- Produce Historical Knowledge
Guided by the Baler Agenda 2019-2022, the following are the projects the LHCN member-affiliates are committing:
|1. Digital database of archival collections||Submit a table of contents/ inventory list of documents available in LHCN member-affiliates|
|2. NQC||Lectures on precolonial history||Participate and contribute in NQC activities|
|3. Programming and administration||· Database of member-affiliates · Establish social media presence||Training available from NHCP & fellow LHCN members during general assembly: · historiography · basic conservation · museum and curatorial work · flag & heraldic code (proper flag disposal)|
|4. Commemoration of local personages & events||Create perpetual calendar & submit to LHCN for dissemination among member-affiliates||· Conduct commemoration activities · Invite LHCN member-affiliate|
|5. Publications||Submit as available. Submissions subject to NHCP review.|
|6. Flag and heraldic code||Distribute AVP & infographic from NHCP||Training of trainers/ lecturers||Lecture/ train schools and other institutions in the local communities|
|Monitor adherence to RA 8491|
|7. History month||Create themes for 2020, 2021, 2022 (FB poll)||· Logo contest (January) · Create activities (Mar-Apr) · Publish history month details (May) · Celebration (Aug)|
|8. Heritage Law||Training on heritage law||Dissemination & monitoring of Heritage Law to local communities|
Local Historical Committees Network (LHCN)
National Historical Commission of the Philippines
NHCP Building, T.M. Kalaw St., Ermita, Manila, 1000
Telefax. no. +632.8536.3181