As the primary government agency responsible for the promotion of Philippine history, the NHCP has the following functions:
- Commemorate significant historical events and declare historically significant sites, structures, events and personages.
- Conduct research, produce materials in various media and publish and disseminate historical works.
- Undertake and prescribe the manner of restoration, conservation, and protection of the country’s historical movable and immovable objects.
- Manage, maintain and administer national shrines, monuments, historical sites, edifices and landmarks of significant historic-cultural value.
- Regulate the design and manufacture of heraldic items of government agencies, pursuant to Republic Act 8491 (Flag and Heraldic Code of the Philippines).
- Resolve historical controversies or issues.