The Research, Publications and Heraldry Division (RPHD) is the arm of the NHCP on historical research and publication of materials involving Philippine History and maintenance of historical databank and resource center and blazoning of heraldic items and devices.
“Research is an indispensable tool for realizing the place of the Filipino in history and publication is the path of making known his legacy, his birthright and his future.”
The Research, Publications and Heraldry Division, as a resource center and the lead division in promoting research, publication and heraldry works in the Institute, make sure that historical materials are Relevant – to answer the country’s need of using history as a guide in the present and in the future; Novel – to reveal new historical data and information as well as perspectives that would be useful in the appreciation of history; and Interesting – to generate interest in and promote the study and research of history to encourage others to undertake studies and researches in history.
The Research, Publications and Heraldry Division performs the following:
- Conducts researches on Philippine history and prepares biographies of heroes, write-ups on historical events, and translation into English and Filipino of important scholarly works;
- Publishes important scholarly works on history;
- Provides research services to the public through the maintenance of a historical data bank and Resource Center;
- Identifies and marks places of historical significance including historical figures with appropriate historical markers;
- Prepares all specifications governing the manufacture of heraldic items and devices and supervises the manufacture of these heraldic items and devices including the implementation of the provisions of RA 8491 and its Implementing Rules and Regulations governing national flag specifications; and,
- Evaluates heraldic items and devices as to conformity to government standards.
The Research, Publications and Heraldry Division (RPHD) is headed by a Chief History Researcher who undertakes the general supervision of the RPHD and plans, organizes, directs and supervises the activities of the division.
He is assisted by the Supervising History Researcher who coordinates the activities of the sections to ensure smooth operation and helps in the administration and supervision of the RPHD personnel.
The RPHD is divided into three sections – the Research Section, the Publications Section and the Heraldry Section. Each section is headed by a Senior History Researcher who oversees the work of the section except for the Publications Section, which is headed by the Publication Production Chief. However, the team in each section may assist one another and divide assignments among themselves depending on the workload.
The Research section conducts researches on Philippine history and prepares biographies of heroes, write-ups on historical events, and translation into English and Filipino of important scholarly works of Filipinos and foreigners originally written in foreign languages and identifies and marks places/sites of historical significance including historical figures with appropriate historical markers; It also operates a Resource Center, which provides research services to
the public through a historical data bank. History Researchers undertake the presentation, cataloguing and care of the collection and ensure that readers are provided with the materials they need.
The Publications Section is in charge of the publication of works on Philippine History and makes these important materials available to the public.
The Heraldry Section evaluates and supervises the manufacture of heraldic items and devices as well as the implementation of the Flag and Heraldic Code of the Philippines.