Marcelo Hilario del Pilar advanced the goals of the Propaganda Movement to reform the colonial government, curb the powers and abuses of the Spanish friars, obtain equal rights between Spaniards and Filipinos, and provide Philippine representation in the Spanish Cortes. Del Pilar did this in two ways: through his writings (he became known by his pen name, Plaridel), and by organizing local communities against candidates of the friars. Plaridel’s eloquence in Tagalog, especially his satirical writings, and his organizational ability were so effective that Governor-General Ramon Blanco called him “the most dreadful of the Filipino politicians, the true voice of the separatists, very superior to Rizal.”
 
Plaridel was born on 30 August 1850 in Sitio Cupang, Barrio San Nicolas, Bulakan, Bulacan to Julian Hilario del Pilar and Blasa Gatmaitan. He finished law at the University of Santo Tomas in 1880. Through declamatory jousts like the dupluhan and dalitan during town fiestas, he would satirize corrupt officials and friars. In 1882, he established the nationalist newspaper Diariong Tagalog and wrote various anti-clerical pamphlets such as Cai-igat Cayo, Dasalan at Tuksohan, Kadakilaan ng Diyos, La Soberania Monacal, and La Frailocracia Filipinas.
 
In October 1888, del Pilar left for Spain to avoid arrest and imprisonment. In Barcelona, he joined other expatriate Filipinos such as Jose Rizal, Mariano Ponce, Graciano Lopez-Jaena, and the Luna Brothers, Juan and Antonio. They initiated the Reform Movement and convinced some Spanish legislators to support the changes they desired.
 
In November 1889, del Pilar succeeded Lopez-Jaena as the editor of the reformists’ bi-monthly paper, La Solidaridad, until its closure on 15 November 1895. Fatigue, hunger, and lack of proper clothing for the cold weather took a toll on his health. Plaridel died of tuberculosis on 4 July 1896.
 
Del Pilar’s remains lie beneath a tripod canopy and a bronze monument. The tomb, decorated by bas-relief sculptures depicting his life, ideals, and bravery, marks the site of his birthplace.
 
The Museo ni Marcelo H. del Pilar has five galleries:

  • Gallery 1:       Remembering Plaridel
  • Gallery 2:       Marcelo’s Bulacan
  • Gallery 3:       The Making of Plaridel
  • Gallery 4:       Seven Years Away from Home
  • Gallery 5:       Back in the Motherland
 
Other facilities include an audio-visual room that features a brief video about the life of del Pilar and an e-learning room for online lessons on the history of the Philippines.
 
MUSEO NI MARCELO H. DEL PILAR
Brangay Cupang,San Nicilas, Bulakan, Bulacan
Museum Curator: Mr. Alex L. Balagtas 
Telephone Number: (+6344) 792.2056
Cellphone Number: (+632) 917.837.7609
Email: nhcpmhdelpilar@yahoo.com
@MuseoniMarceloH.DelPilar 
Open from
Tuesday to Sunday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.